Saturday, October 15, 2011

How I Discovered What I Wanted To Be

This is the strange but true story of how I discovered what I wanted to Do in this Life...
I was born in Brooklyn in August 1953,But earliest memories are of Brisbane,Australia where we lived in a large white Victorian house,On Stilts with a wrap around porch,Built by my grandfather Norman Sterling.
My Dad was in World War II,Korea and later Vietnam,but My earliest memories are in the mid to late 1950's.
For me this was a Pre TV era of my life there might well of been TV already in Sydney,But we did not live in Sydney,So all of my earliest views of the out side world came from either a short wave radio or the movies we would go see virtually every weekend...
in those days when one went to the movies there was a double feature,an A movie which was either an American Major Motion Picture often already at least a year old Or an English Movie... Plus a B movie which could be either an American Movie (Some times it might even be in color,Which we thought was a big dear) or an English one (Usually in Black & white...
A News Reel witch was a filmed version of the news here in Australia it would be the Pathe News,From the U.K. and 2 cartoons from the same studio as the A Movie (Ie:Warner Brothers,MGM or Columbia). It was these via these Movies,News reels & cartoons I got My first impressions of America,For although I was American & I was derisively called Yank at school every day ,The only actual American I knew was My father & he was rarely home.
So I would study these movies to glean what ever I could about what I then viewed as My home land.
So all the American idiom I knew at the time came largely from World War II,cowboy,or gangster movies of the of the 30's,40's $ 50's,To this day I say Howdy as a reminder to My self from whence I came...
One day while watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon (I was around 3-4 years old) I with great interest noticed a character based on Actor/Director Otto Preminger & he was trying direct a Movie,And I recall thinking to myself,Oh there is a guy who tells every one what to do & how to make a Movie,I want to be that guy! And so began a life long journey in the quest to write & direct Movies...

No comments:

Post a Comment